The Beau Catcher Short Story Lesson
This short story lesson on “The Beau Catcher” by Frederick Laing focuses on literary elements of plot, character, setting, theme, and conflict, as well as these literary devices: similes, metaphors, symbols, and foreshadowing. Use this lesson to introduce or review literary elements and literary devices with your students.
- This resource contains individual PDFs of student pages to assist with online learning, i.e. Google Classroom™. The unit also comes with Google Slides™ versions of the included graphic organizers for 1:1 technology schools.
NOTE: Due to copyright, PDFs of the short story are not included. This resource is NOT editable.
This lesson is also included in the 6th Grade Short Story Unit.
Short Story Lesson Includes:
- Making Predictions
- Comprehension Questions + Answer Key
- Literary Elements and Devices Graphic Organizer + Answer Key
- Extend Your Learning Assignment
- Standards-based Assessment
- Points-based Assessment
- Individual PDFs of student pages for uploading to Google Classroom or other online learning portals
- Google Slides graphic organizers for 1:1 schools
- “Great questions! This is a fun story to get middle grade students used to reading more traditional texts with antiquated/old fashioned language.”
- “Neat little story!”
Are you looking for short story units?