Thank You Ma’am Short Story | PDF & Digital Formats: This short story lesson on “Thank You Ma’am” by Langston Hughes focuses on literary elements of plot, character, setting, theme, and conflict as well as these literary devices: similes, metaphors, symbols and foreshadowing. Use this lesson to introduce or review literary elements and literary devices with your students.
- This resource contains individual PDFs of student pages to assist with online learning i.e. Google Classroom™. The unit also comes with Google Slides™ versions of the included graphic organizers for 1:1 technology schools.
- Comprehension Questions + Answer Key
- Literary Elements and Devices Graphic Organizer + Answer Key
- Standards-based Assessment
- Points-based Assessment
- Individual PDFs of student pages for uploading to Google Classroom or other online learning portals
- Google Slides graphic organizers for 1:1 schools
- “This is a great resource that includes activities on several literary elements. The text itself is easy to find online.”
- “Very comprehensive – lends organization to the study of this short story.”
- “Excellent resource to use with Grade 8 students. Excellent review of literary elements and literary devices in clear concise language for students.”
- “My students really enjoyed this activity, they were fully engaged and want to continue on after the lesson was over!”
Due to copyright, PDFs of the short story are not included. This lesson is included in the Short Story Unit Middle School Bundle 2.