Short Story Unit 1
This short story unit contains great short stories for middle school classrooms. Students will enjoy this differentiated and engaging unit. This unit focuses on literary elements of plot, character, setting, theme, and conflict, as well as these literary devices: similes, metaphors, symbols, and foreshadowing. Use this unit to introduce or review literary elements and literary devices with your students.
- This unit is Google Classroom™️ compatible with individual PDFs, and Google Slides™️ graphic organizers are included.
- Short Story Units 1 and 2 contain the same lessons but have different short stories, answer keys, and final tests.
This unit is also included in the Full Year Middle School English Language Arts Lesson Bundle 1.
NOTE: Due to copyright, individual PDFs of each short story are not included. These short stories are available online and in many textbooks.
Click Here To View The Preview
Short Story Unit Outline:
- Activating Prior Knowledge Graffiti Activity
- Elements of a Short Story Lesson (Slideshow and Graphic Organizer)
- Whole-Class Short Story Analysis Modelling & Practice using The Hockey Sweater by Roch Carrier
- Short Story Vocabulary Quiz
- Short Story Analysis Whole Class or Group Options
- Final Task: Short Story Choice Board
- Short Story Drama Task (optional)
- Short Story Application Test on Zoo by Edward D. Hoch
7 Short Stories Covered:
- The Hockey Sweater by Roch Carrier
- Amigo Brothers by Piri Thomas
- The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant
- Lose Now, Pay Later by Carol Farley
- The Fun They Had by Isaac Asimov
- All Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury
- Zoo by Edward D. Hoch
Short Story Unit Includes:
- Individual PDFs of student pages for uploading to Google Classroom or other online learning portals
- Google Slides graphic organizers for 1:1 schools
- Literary elements and devices classroom posters (anchor charts)
- Student choice
- Comprehension questions, quiz, and test
- Scaffolded and regular graphic organizers options
- Unit plan and detailed daily lessons
- Lessons are divided up with title pages for easy access
- Standards-based assessment options
- Points-based assessment options
Short Story Unit – Teacher Feedback:
- “This was a new and fresh way to dive into short stories. The kids loved it, and I loved it. Everything I needed was included. I didn’t really need extra prep. If you are looking for something to kick things up a notch instead of the same old thing, this is the resource.”
- “This was a great resource to have my students analyze and explore various short stories, and challenge them to write their own short story. Students were very successful at determining the various parts of a story.”
- “All of her resources save me so much time and allow me opportunity to work more closely with invidividual students. These were wonderful because I could use them with students at all different reading levels. It allowed them the ability to deconstruct their short story successfully with teacher guided instruction.”
- “I love the thoroughness of the lessons and scaffolding provided in this resource. My students absolutely LOVE the short stories that are suggested. They are always eager to work on short stories because they are so interesting and thought provoking. Just perfect for this age!”
- “Thanks for creating such a comprehensive resource. It’s current, relevant and engaging. I especially like the links to videos that support the learning (without having to hunt them down). Thanks again!”
- “For someone who has never taught language, the resources from 2peasandadog saved me. The students absolutely love all the short stories! They love anything with a twist ending. Short story units are a must!”
Are you looking for another set of short stories? Be sure to check out Short Story Unit 2.