Rant Writing Unit
Rant writing is an engaging way to bring public speaking and persuasive writing into the classroom. Students rant and complain to each other daily; why not channel that creative energy into some high-quality writing? Rants are an engaging way to get students to write and share their thoughts and opinions in the classroom. This assignment can be used for argument writing or persuasive writing.
- This resource contains individual PDFs of student pages to assist with online learning, i.e. Google Classroom™.
- The unit also comes with Google Slides™ versions of the included graphic organizers for 1:1 technology schools.
This Rant Writing Unit is also included in the Oral Presentations Bundle #1 and the Full Year Middle School English Language Arts Lesson Bundle 1.
Rant Writing Unit – Resource Includes:
- Detailed Lesson Plans
- Graphic Organizers
- Rant Video Examples (Internet Required)
- Assignment Sheet
- Editing Sheet
- Assessment Criteria
- Teaching Slides
- Google Slides and PDF Formats
Rant Writing Unit – Teacher Feedback:
- “This by far was the most favourite unit of the year for my Grade 7’s.”
- “This resource was complete and easy to implement. Students enjoyed the process and got better at persuasive writing and speaking with passion. Thanks.”
- “This was a really great resource and very easy to execute in my virtual classroom. The students were completely engaged. It was great to see what they came up with when it came time for them to do their own rants.”
- “This is one of my favourite assignments we did all year! Students LOVED the opportunity to rant and complain about something that bothered them! The unit is so easy to follow and included step by step instructions for teachers, along with a grading rubric and links to video examples.”
More Engaging ELA Resources: