Independent Reading Journal Assignment
Keep your students organized during independent reading. This independent reading journal assignment is a collection of 6 Independent Reading Tracking Forms and 1 Reading Journal Assignment. These reading tracking forms help students stay organized and purposeful during reading workshop or independent reading time. Easy-to-use assessment forms are included to ensure student accountability and less teacher marking stress.
- This resource contains individual PDFs of student pages to assist with online learning, i.e. Google Classroom as well as Google Slides formatted lessons for 1:1 schools.
This lesson is also included in the Full Year Middle School English Language Arts Lesson Bundle 1 and Full Year Middle School English Language Arts Lesson Bundle 2.
- This resource is not editable. It is in PDF format.
Click Here To View The Preview
Independent Reading Journal Assignment – Included Assignments:
- Reading Journal Assignment
- Reading Journal Assessment (Rubric and Points Based)
- Sample Journal Entry
Independent Reading Journal Assignment – Included Forms:
- Independent Reading Genre Checklist (multiple formats)
- Book Log
- Interesting Books List
- Monthly reading goals and reflect sheets (multiple formats)
- Reading Conferences Tracking Sheet
- Reading Conferences Questions for Fiction and Non-Fiction books
- Reading Check-In Sheet
- Recommended Reading Lists
Forms that are labelled with each month include different months, as well as blank forms to be adapted to any classroom.
Independent Reading Journal Assignment – Teacher Feedback:
- “This is a great resource to use during your literacy period. I rotate this activity with a few others, in order to ensure the students are in fact reading, and to ensure they understand and are engaged with what they are reading. The students appreciated the prompts and the sample entry.”
- “I love all of the resources by this seller. They save me a lot of time planning and I can use her assessments as a model for creating my own for other assignments. We use this one every year and I think it’s fantastic. Works well for online or in person learning.”
- “This was a fantastic resource! I had print versions available and Google Slides versions available for students, so they could pick the format they were most comfortable with. The example, format, and rubric were straightforward and easy-to-use.”
- “I am loving this resource. We just implemented some of the independent reading activities but I am looking forward to starting it right from the beginning of next school year. This is a fantastic resource to encourage students not only to read a variety of genres but to focus on their comprehension and understanding.”
Would you prefer a monthly book report? You might like – 12 Different Genre Book Reports.
More Fantastic Reading Resources: