Health and Consumer Awareness Lesson – Makeup Testers
Help your students develop a deeper understanding of consumer awareness and their health with this engaging Health and Consumer Awareness lesson on the hidden germs found in makeup testers. This lesson examines several popular makeup brands and makeup stores and explains what was found.
- This resource contains individual PDFs of student pages to assist with online learning, i.e. Google Classroom™.
- The unit also comes with Google Slides™ versions of the included graphic organizers for 1:1 technology schools.
This assignment is also included in the Media Literacy Bundle 1 – Consumer Awareness Lessons and the Full Year Middle School English Language Arts Lesson Bundle 1.
- Regular, reliable internet access is required for this resource.
- Internet must be able to access online video sources.
- This resource is a non-editable PDF, with Google Classroom-compatible PDFs included.
- Curriculum Links: This set of lessons can be used for consumer awareness lessons (discussing how companies sometimes give consumers a false sense of safety also for consumers to use discernment before using any kind of tester) or as part of your Health/Science program. This lesson discusses makeup stores as well as the germs found on public makeup testers.
Health and Consumer Awareness Lesson – Outline:
- Introduction to Consumer Awareness
- Makeup Tester Questions
- Journal Entry Assessment (4 Options)
- Makeup Tester Quiz
- Extend Your Learning Assignment
Health and Consumer Awareness Lesson – Unit Includes:
- Differentiated and engaging activities
- Individual PDFs of student pages for uploading to Google Classroom or other online learning portals
- Google Slides graphic organizers for 1 to 1 technology classrooms
- Detailed lesson plan
- Lessons are divided up with title pages for easy access
- Detailed teacher directions
Health and Consumer Awareness Lesson – Teacher Feedback:
- “Students found it interesting because the topic is something they can relate to. They were surprised by the true facts that were exposed. They were a little grossed out, in a good way.”
- “Another great media lesson to have in my binder. Thank you”
- “My students always enjoy the consumer awareness lessons!”
Looking for more consumer awareness lessons? Click here.
More Media Literacy Resources:
- Media Literacy Review Writing 16 Lessons
- Media Literacy Bundle 1 – Consumer Awareness Lessons
- Media Literacy Bundle 2 – Consumer Awareness Lessons
- Media Literacy Unit – Analyzing Public Service Announcements and Commercials
Are you interested in learning more about media literacy in the classroom? Check out this article: Why Teach Media Literacy? An Awesome Guide For Teachers.