This Creating Canada Unit 1850-1890 supports Canadian history curriculum that teaches how Canada’s Confederation occurred and how Western Canada was settled and convinced to join Confederation. Teachers are provided with 21 in-depth lessons to help their students explore and understand this era of Canadian history.
- Language Arts (Reading, Writing, Oral, Media), History, Art and Drama subjects are integrated into this unit.
- Included in this resource are answer keys and individual PDFs of student pages to support online learning such as Google Classroom.
- This unit is aligned with the Ontario Social Studies Curriculum 2018 Grade 8 Strand A. Updated in 2019.
1. “I am ecstatic that you created a wonderful inquiry based resource for the new curriculum. There is such a need for resources to support this curriculum and I love the clarity and creativity of this package.”
2. “Excellent product and well worth the price for a new teacher. Hits all the major Ontario curriculum expectations, learning goals and success criteria. Saves me so much time re-teaching myself.”
3. “Great resource for strand A of the curriculum. Takes the main points of the unit and organizes them into thoughtful and well-organized activities. Thanks!”
4. “Great ideas in this resource. Fun and interesting assessments ”
- Regular and Reliable Internet Is Required For This Unit
- Research is not included for inquiry stations.
- Students must gather the research themselves from a textbook, non-fiction books or online sources.
Need to go paperless? Check out the digital expansion pack for this unit. This expansion pack contains all of the student output pages in a Google Slides format. This will save you time at the photocopier! Note: The expansion pack is NOT a complete unit. You will still need to purchase the complete unit.
- Grade 8 Strand A
Canada A Changing Society
Want A Complete Canadian History Unit 1850-1914?
Canadian History Bundle 1850-1914
Strand A Lessons
1. Why Do We Study History?
2. How Did We Get Here?
3. How Has The Map of Canada Changed?
4. Life in British North America Prior to 1867
5. Fathers of Confederation Monologues
6. Politics in the Province of Canada
7. John A. Macdonald Personal and Professional Life
8. Confederation Advertisement Assignment
9. The Pros and Cons of Confederation
10. The Charlottetown, Quebec and London Conferences
10B. Missing Voices at the Confederation Conferences
10C. British North America Act
11. Confederation Unit Test
12. Primary Source Analysis Videos and Photos
13. Legal Documents
14. Settlement of Western Canada Inquiry Stations
15. Manitoba Act 1870
16. The Indian Act 1876
17. Louis Riel Obituary Assignment
18. Canadian Pacific Railroad Lyric Analysis
19. Canadian Pacific Railroad Assignment
20. Primary Source Analysis, Video, and Creative Writing – The Gold Rush
21. The Chinese Immigration Act 1885
22. The Arctic and Indigenous Case Law
23. Numbered Treaties
24. Residential Schools
25. Video Review
26. Western Canada Unit Test
-detailed unit plan
-lessons divided up with title pages for easy access
-lots of variety and student choice during assignments
-detailed teacher and student directions
-Q Chart to help students formulate good questions
-inquiry station cards with detailed instructions
-inquiry station graphic organizers to help students with their research
-oral presentation assessment rubric
-historical content assessment rubric
-dramatic presentation assessment rubric
-Short and Long Answer Unit Test Format
-Fill in the Blanks Unit Test Format
-RAFT (Role, Audience, Format, Topic) differentiated format unit test
-Long answer questions unit test