Grade 8 Geography Strand A Modified Global Settlement Patterns and Sustainability | PDF & Digital: This modified geography unit is for classroom teachers who are required to teach the Grade 8 Geography Ontario Curriculum, but have students working significantly below grade level in reading, writing, and comprehension.
Each of the 16 lessons aligns with a key concept in the Ontario Grade 8 Geography Curriculum but has significantly reduced reading and writing expectations within the lesson. An MP3 audio file of each student reading has been provided. This resource was designed to meet the needs of ELL students and/or students on a modified IEP. Please review the provided sample lesson in the preview PDF.
- This resource contains individual PDFs of student pages to assist with online learning i.e. Google Classroom™.
- The unit also comes with Google Slides™ versions of the included lessons for 1:1 technology schools.
- Aligned with the Grade 8 Geography Ontario Curriculum
- 16 Modified Grade 8 Geography Strand A Lessons
- MP3 Audio Files of Student Readings
- Detailed Teacher Instructions
- Google Slides version
- Individual PDFs
Lesson Overview & Modifications
- What Is Geography? (Cut & Match)
- Vocabulary (Reading, Cut & Match)
- Mapping Skills Review (Cut & Match, Numbered Map)
- Quiz (Fill in the Blanks)
- Patterns in Human Settlement Part 1 (Multiple Choice)
- Patterns in Human Settlement Part 2 (Reading, Cut & Match)
- Population Density (Reading, Cut & Match)
- Settlement Factors (Interactive Folding Notes)
- Land Use (Reading & Scaffolded Journal Entry)
- Mid-Unit Test (Circle, Fil in the Blanks, Matching)
- Trends in Human Settlement (Reading, Cut & Match, Multiple Choice)
- Environmental Impacts of Human Settlement (Reading & Scaffolded Poster Assignment)
- Settlement Issues (Reading, Multiple Choice)
- Sustainable Settlements (Scaffolded Home & School Audits)
- Personal Plan of Action (Scaffolded Challenge)
- Inquiry (Videos and True/False)
Other Geography Resources