Grade 7 History French Edition: Teachers are provided with 19 in-depth and engaging lessons to help their students explore and understand New France and early British North America eras of Canadian history. Language Arts (Reading, Writing, Oral, Media), History, Art, and Drama subjects are integrated into this unit. Student pages are written in , teacher instructions and answer keys are in .
Included in this resource are answer keys and individual PDFs of student pages to support online learning such as Google Classroom. This unit is aligned with the Ontario Social Studies Curriculum 2018 Grade 7 Strand A. Updated to include the changes in the 2018 curriculum.
Need To Go Paperless for Distance Learning or 1:1 Schools?
- Check out this Digital Expansion Pack for Grade 7 History
This unit supports a curriculum that teaches:
- The background of New France
- The Treaty of Utrecht 1713
- The Seven Years’ War
- The transfer of power of Canada from France to Britain
- The expulsion of the Acadians
- The impact of the American Revolution on Canada
- The Loyalists Arrival
- The Constitution Act of 1791
- Regular and Reliable Internet Is Required For This Unit
- Research is not included for inquiry stations.
- Students must gather the research themselves from textbooks, non-fiction books or online sources.
This Unit Is Also Available In This Bundle
Need The Next Unit?
- Introduction: (Class Discussion) Why do we study history?
- #1 (Small Group) Important Events Sorting Activity
- #2 (Video Clips) Explorers and First Nations *internet access required
- #3 (Small Group) Canadian Settlement Objects Activity
- #4 (Partner Collaboration) Map of New France Creation
- #5 (Reading) The Creation of New France
- #6 (Gallery Walk) New France Vocabulary QR Code Match Up
- #7 (Dramatic Monologues) Historical Figures Monologues
- #8 (Small Group Inquiry) New France Guided Inquiry Stations
- #9 (Test) New France
- #10 (Reading) Treaty of Utrecht
- #11 (Reading + Primary Source Analysis) The Acadians
- #12 (Reading + Newspaper Assignment) The Seven Years’ War
- #13 (Small Group Inquiry) Government Documents After The Seven Years’ War
- #14 (Whole Class Reading) The American Revolution
- #15 (Small Group Inquiry) The Loyalists Guided Inquiry
- #16 (Long Video) Optional Video *internet access required
- #17 (Reading) The Constitution Act of 1791
- #18 (Choice Board) British North America Summative Task
- #19 (Test) British North America Unit Test
- Detailed unit overview
- 23 different lessons
- Lesson plans for each lesson (detailed teacher and student directions)
- Interactive note-taking graphic organizers
- Assessment for, of and as learning breakdown
- Learning goals in student-friendly language
- Lessons divided up with title pages for easy access
- Lots of variety and student choice on assignments
- Q Chart to help students formulate good questions
- Inquiry stations research folder cover pages
- Inquiry station cards with detailed instructions
- Inquiry station graphic organizers to help students with their research
- Inquiry station student notes sheets
- Oral presentation assessment rubric
- Historical content assessment rubric
- Several quizzes
- Differentiated assessment formats
- “SOOOO helpful! It’s hard to find informational texts suitable for FI readers. I like that these text passages were not too long and often had accompanying questions or activities.”
- “My students liked the research elements of this package, it was thorough and well organized”
- “Wonderful resource! Thanks so much”