Grade 7 History Modified Bundle
In this Grade 7 History Modified Bundle, teachers are equipped with 43 engaging lessons. These lessons will help teachers to immerse their modified Grade 7 students in the fascinating world of Canadian history. Each of the 43 lessons aligns with a critical concept in the Ontario Grade 7 History Curriculum but has significantly reduced reading and writing expectations within the lesson.
This modified history unit is for classroom teachers who are required to teach the Grade 7 History Ontario Curriculum but have students working significantly below grade level in reading, writing, and comprehension. An MP3 audio file of each student reading has been provided. This resource was designed to meet the needs of ELL students and/or students on a modified IEP.
- Curriculum Alignment: Ontario History Curriculum 2023 Grade 7 Strand A and B.
Please review the provided sample lesson in the preview PDF and watch the overview video for this resource .
- : Immerse your students in captivating learning experiences that ignite their curiosity throughout both the Strand A and Strand B units, fostering a profound understanding and personal connection to the material.
- : Elevate student learning and accessibility with audio recordings of the student readings, providing valuable support for diverse learning styles and ensuring active participation for all students.
- : Simplify your teaching experience with easy-to-follow daily lesson plans, saving you precious time on preparation and enabling a seamless and enriching educational journey.
- : Benefit from self-marking Google Forms, which streamline the assessment process, providing automated grading and quick insights into your students’ progress.
- : Empower your students with graphic organizers that facilitate information organization, making complex concepts more accessible and memorable.
- : Streamline your grading process with readily available answer keys for assessments and activities, allowing you to focus more on teaching and providing timely feedback to your students.
- : Embrace the convenience of accessing materials in both print and digital formats, effortlessly adapting to diverse teaching environments and catering to individual preferences.
Do you have students working at grade level? Check out this comprehensive bundle – .
Strand A – Lesson Overview & Modifications
Intro – Why Study History? (Reading, Cut & Match)
1. Important Events Sorting Activity (Reading, Cut & Match)
2. Historica Minutes (Video, Fill in the Blanks)
3A. Canadian Settlement Objects Activity (Matching)
3B. Haudenosaunee, Inuit and Métis (Reading, True/False)
4. The Map of New France 1700 (Compare and Contrast)
5A. The Creation of New France (Reading, Fill in the Blanks)
5B. Medical Care in the 1700s (Reading, Cut & Match)
6. New France Vocabulary (QR Code Scavenger Hunt)
7. Historical Figures Assignment (Poster or Slideshow Creation)
8. Fur Trade Inquiry Assignment (Multimedia, True/False)
9. Mid-Unit Quiz (Multiple Choice, Short Answer)
10A. The Treaty of Utrecht 1713 (Fill in the Blanks)
10B. The Treaties (Reading, Cut and Paste)
11. Image Analysis & The Acadians (True/False)
12. Seven Years War (Readings, Newspaper Article)
13. The Establishment of British Rule (Reading, Folding Notes)
14. The American Revolution (Videos, Cut and Paste)
15. Black Loyalists Inquiry (Videos, Cut and Paste)
16. The Impact of the Loyalists’ Migration on the Mississaugas of the Credit Nation (Reading, Note-Taking Graphic Organizer)
17. The Constitution Act of 1791 (Reading, Cut and Match)
Strand B – Lesson Overview & Modifications
1. Important Events (Reading/Cut & Match)
2. Métis & Settler Relations (Reading/True/False)
3. War of 1812 (Videos/Fill in the Blanks)
4. War of 1812 Overview (Reading/Interactive Notes)
5. Battle of Queenston Image Analysis (Image Analysis)
6. War of 1812 Inquiry (Structured Inquiry)
7. War of 1812 Newspaper Article (Fill in the Blanks)
8. Results of the War of 1812 (Reading/Cut & Match)
9. Mackinac and Drummond Islands (Reading/Cut & Match)
10. Mid-Unit Quiz (Quiz)
11. A Question of Identity: War of 1812 (Movie)
12. Life in Lower Canada (Reading/Cut & Match)
13. Lower Canada Government Structure (Reading/Cut & Match)
14. Château Clique (Reading/Fill in the Blanks)
15. The Rebellions in Lower Canada (Reading/Interactive Notes)
16. Life in Upper Canada (Reading/Colour Coding)
17. Rebellion in Upper Canada (Reading/Interactive Notes)
18. Rebellions Quiz (Quiz)
19. Legal Issues (Reading, True or False, Timeline, Opinion Writing)
20. Politics in British North America (Reading/Interactive Notes)
21. British – Indigenous Treaties (Reading, Fill in the Blanks, True False)
22. Summative Task (Poster)
With this comprehensive resource, you can create an inclusive and dynamic learning environment, nurturing your students’ curiosity and fostering a deeper understanding of history.
- “It allows the different levelled learners to be consistent in what they are learning. The activities are designed so that my modified students can have some success with the curriculum!”
- “Working with my MLLs who are still learning English as a second language, I found this resource very helpful in support their learning of the History curriculum, especially when there is a lot of new vocabulary.”
- “This is super helpful for working with an ELL student.”
Additional Grade 7 History Resources
- Use these
Notes: The internet is required to access videos in this unit.