Grade 6 Social Studies Strand B Modified Ontario Curriculum
In this Grade 6 Social Studies Strand B Modified Unit, teachers are equipped with 17 engaging lessons. These lessons will help teachers to immerse their modified Grade 6 students in learning about Canada’s interactions with the global community. Each of the 17 lessons aligns with a critical concept in the Ontario Grade 6 Social Studies Curriculum but has significantly reduced reading and writing expectations within the lesson.
This modified unit is for classroom teachers who are required to teach the Grade 6 Ontario Social Studies Curriculum but have students working significantly below grade level in reading, writing, and comprehension. An MP3 audio file of each student reading has been provided. This resource was designed to meet the needs of ELL students and/or students on a modified IEP.
- Curriculum Alignment: Ontario Social Studies Curriculum 2023 Grade 6 Strand B
Please review the provided sample lesson in the preview PDF and watch the overview video for this resource .
- These lessons will keep students engaged throughout the unit.
- Lessons have been modified with reduced reading and writing expectations.
- Use the provided audio recordings of the student readings.
- Streamline your grading process with readily available answer keys.
- Follow-up activities utilize a variety of formats – cut & match, fill in the blanks, guided inquiry, assignments, graphic organizers
- Streamline your assessment process by automating your grading.
- : Access materials in both print and digital formats.
Do you have students working at grade level? Check out this unit – .
Lesson Overview & Modifications
1. Introduction: Key Vocabulary (QR Code Vocabulary)
2. Canadian Government and Global Interactions (Reading + Cut & Match Activity)
3A. International Accords and Organizations (Video + Cut & Match Activity)
3B. International Accords and Organizations (Video + Quiz)
3C. International Accords and Organizations (Video + Fill in the Blanks Activity)
4. Canada’s Role in International Programs (Reading + Sorting Activity)
5. Canada’s Role in International Non-Government Organizations (Reading + Quiz)
6. Canada’s Crisis Response: H1N1 and Ebola (Reading + Cut & Match Activity)
7A. Canada’s Role in International Peace (Guided Inquiry Activities)
7B. Canada’s Role in International Peace (Timeline Activity & Videos)
8. Canada’s Global Relationships (Reading, Graphic Organizer & Map Activity)
9. Canada’s Trading Partners (Tally Activity, Reading and Multiple Choice)
10. Canada’s Economy (Reading, Multiple Choice and Cut & Match)
11. Environmental Issues: Overfishing (Reading + Cut & Match)
12A. Environmental Issues: Invasive Species (Reading, True/False Questions & Folding Notes)
12B. Environmental Issues: Canada’s Impact (Reading & Newspaper Article)
13. Plastics in the Ocean Inquiry (Guided Inquiry)
This Grade 6 Social Studies Strand B Modified Unit resource is specifically tailored to accommodate the unique needs of classroom teachers faced with students performing significantly below grade level in reading, writing, and comprehension. This adaptable and accessible resource empowers teachers to provide engaging social studies lessons while ensuring students can participate actively in their learning journey.
Additional Grade 6 Social Studies Resources
- Use these
Notes: The internet is required to access videos in this unit.