Grade 6 Social Studies Strand A – Communities in Canada, Past and Present
In this Grade 6 Social Studies Strand A resource, teachers are provided with 16 in-depth, engaging, and cross-curricular lessons to help their students explore and understand Heritage and Identity: Communities in Canada, Past and Present.
- This resource includes answer keys and individual PDFs of student pages to support online learning, such as Google Classroom.
Curriculum Alignment: Ontario Social Studies Curriculum 2018 Grade 6 Strand A.
Aussi disponible en français: Grade 6 Social Studies Strand A FRENCH Edition – Communities in Canada, Past and Present
This Grade 6 Social Studies Strand A unit is also included in the Grade 6 Social Studies Bundle and the Grade 6/7 Social Studies Bundle.
Click Here To View The Preview
- Regular and reliable internet is required for this unit.
- Research is not included for inquiry stations. Students must gather the research themselves from a textbook, non-fiction books or online sources.
Grade 6 Social Studies Strand A – Lesson Overview:
- Introduction: Building Vocabulary & Map Creation
- What Shapes Our Canadian Identity?
- Canadian Identity: Fundamentals
- Canadian Identity: Indigenous Canadians
- Canadian Identity: Settler Communities
- Canadian Identity: Inclusiveness
- Historical Perspectives: Communities Inquiry
- Traditional Territories
- Migration Reasons
- Settler Life in Canada
- Economic Development
- Creation of Nunavut, Nunavik, and Nunatsiavut
- Community Developments
- Interactions Between Settler Communities
- Differences Between Communities
- How Did You Get Here?
Grade 6 Social Studies Strand A – Resource Includes:
- Individual PDFs of all student pages for online learning, i.e. Google Classroom
- Detailed unit plan and daily lesson plans
- 16 Lessons
- Answer keys
- Differentiated lesson and assessment formats
- Lessons are divided up with title pages for easy access
- Lots of variety and student choice on assignments
- Detailed teacher and student directions
- Q Chart to help students formulate good questions
- Inquiry stations research folder cover pages
- Inquiry station cards with detailed instructions
- Inquiry station graphic organizers to help students with their research
- Oral presentation assessment rubric
- Historical content assessment rubric
- Quizzes to check for understanding
Grade 6 Social Studies Strand A – Teacher Feedback:
- “Very thorough resource! I love the guided inquiry options that will support my students perfectly. The readings provided are plentiful and appropriate for my student’s grade level. So much to choose from and a great balance of inquiry and teacher-led materials. Very happy with this purchase.”
- “Love everything about this! Especially happy that it is Google Classroom-friendly with all the student pages being individual PDFs.”
- “Great resource! Engaging with lots of great visuals and video links. Age-appropriate readings and engaging student activities. I am looking forward to trying this in class next year.”
- “Amazing resource! Everything you need is right there and very well put together. My students enjoyed the videos that are included (really helps reinforce concepts). I would also highly recommend the digital pack that goes with this. Such a huge time saver and paper saver too!! Thank you.”
Need the Next Unit?
Grade 6 Social Studies Strand B – Canada’s Interaction With The Global Community