Grade 6 Social Studies Strand A – Communities in Canada, Past and Present
Use this 348-page Grade 6 Social Studies Strand A Unit to help teach the 2023 Ontario Curriculum. Teachers are provided with 18 in-depth, engaging, and cross-curricular lessons to help their students explore and understand Canada’s Heritage and Identity: Communities in Canada, Past and Present. Students will learn about the role Indigenous Peoples have had in helping shape Canada as well as the settler communities that immigrated to Canada. This unit culminates in a Canada-Themed Digital Escape Room, which helps consolidate the learning from this unit.
- Curriculum Alignment: Ontario Social Studies Curriculum 2023 Grade 6 Strand A. This unit has been updated to reflect the 2023 changes to the Social Studies Curriculum.
- Save time and money – buy the Bundle.
Grade 6 Social Studies Strand A Includes:
- 18 Engaging Lessons
- 348 Pages
- MP3 Audio Files of Student Readings
- Google Slides™ of Student Pages
- Daily Lesson Plans
- Student Choice
- Differentiated Tasks
- Inquiry Learning
- Graphic Organizers
- Summative Assessments
- Assessment Rubrics
- Answer Keys
- Individual PDFs of student pages to post to Google Classroom™
1. Introduction: Building Vocabulary & Map Creation
2. What Shapes Our Canadian Identity?
3. Canadian Identity: Fundamentals
4. Canadian Identity: Indigenous Canadians
5. Canadian Identity: Settler Communities
6. Canadian Identity: Inclusiveness
7. Historical Perspectives: Communities Inquiry
8. Traditional Territories
9. Migration Reasons
10. Settler Life in Canada
11. Economic Development
12. Creation of Nunavut, Nunavik, and Nunatsiavut
13A. Community Developments
13B. Community Developments & Antisemitism (New for 2023)
14. Interactions Between Settler Communities
15. Differences Between Communities
16. How Did You Get Here?
17. Canada-Themed Digital Escape Room
- “This is an amazing resource! The plans are detailed and very easy to follow. There is a lot of information to cover in this unit and I would not be able to do it as successfully without this product. There are a variety of quizzes and worksheets for students to do. It isn’t always the same format for each lesson which my students like as well. I appreciate that it has been updated as well to include audio files! I will definitely be purchasing products in the future from this creator! Thank you :)”
- “Very thorough resource! I love the guided inquiry options that will support my students perfectly. The readings provided are plentiful and appropriate for my student’s grade level. So much to choose from and a great balance of inquiry and teacher-led materials. Very happy with this purchase.”
- “Love everything about this! Especially happy that it is Google Classroom-friendly with all the student pages being individual PDFs.”
- “Great resource! Engaging with lots of great visuals and video links. Age-appropriate readings and engaging student activities. I am looking forward to trying this in class next year.”
Notes: The internet is required to access videos in this unit. Research is not included for inquiry stations. Students must gather the research themselves from a textbook, non-fiction books or online sources.
Need the Next Unit?