Grade 6 Social Studies Strand A and B French Edition: Teachers are provided with 29 in-depth, engaging, and cross-curricular lessons to help their students explore and understand Communities in Canada, Past and Present and Canada’s Interactions With The Global Community.
- This resource includes answer keys and individual PDFs of student pages to support online learning such as Google Classroom. This unit is aligned with the Ontario Social Studies Curriculum 2018 Grade 6 Strand A and B.
- The resource has been translated for a French immersion classroom – student pages are in FRENCH, but teacher pages and answer keys are in ENGLISH.
- Regular and Reliable Internet Is Required For This Unit
- Research is not included for inquiry stations.
- Students must gather the research themselves from a textbook, non-fiction books or online sources.
Strand A Lesson Outline
1. Introduction: Building Vocabulary & Map Creation
2. What Shapes Our Canadian Identity?
3. Canadian Identity: Fundamentals
4. Canadian Identity: Indigenous Canadians
5. Canadian Identity: Settler Communities
6. Canadian Identity: Inclusiveness
7. Historical Perspectives: Communities Inquiry
8. Traditional Territories
9. Migration Reasons
10. Settler Life in Canada
11. Economic Development
12. Creation of Nunavut, Nunavik, and Nunatsiavut
13. Community Developments
14. Interactions Between Settler Communities
15. Differences Between Communities
16. How Did You Get Here?
Strand B Lesson Outline
1. Introduction: Key Vocabulary
2. Canadian Government and Global Interactions
3. International Accords and Organizations
4. Canada’s Role in International Programs
5. Canada’s Role in International Non-Government Organizations
6. Canada’s Crisis Response: H1N1 and Ebola
7. Canada’s Role in International Peace
8. Canada’s Global Relationships
9. Canada’s Trading Partners
10. Canada’s Economy
11. Environmental Issues: Overfishing
12. Environmental Issues: Canada’s Impact
13. Global Issues Inquiry
- individual PDFs of all student pages for online learning i.e. Google Classroom
- detailed unit plan and daily lesson plans
- 29 different lessons
- answer keys
- differentiated lesson and assessment formats
- lessons divided up with title pages for easy access
- lots of variety and student choice on assignments
- detailed teacher and student directions
- Q Chart to help students formulate good questions
- inquiry stations research folder cover pages
- inquiry station cards with detailed instructions
- inquiry station graphic organizers to help students with their research