Current Events Assignment
It is important for students to be informed about current events happening in our world. In this NO PREP activity, students examine online or print news sources to report on a current event for their class. This current events assignment can be used with any non-fiction new article or text.
- This resource contains individual PDFs of student pages to assist with online learning, i.e. Google Classroom™.
- The unit also comes with Google Slides™ versions of the included graphic organizers for 1:1 technology schools.
This assignment is also included in the Oral Presentations Bundle #1 and the Full Year Middle School English Language Arts Lesson Bundle 1.
Current Events Assignment – Resource Includes:
- Teacher lesson plan (using the gradual release model – modelled, shared, and independent)
- Student assignment sheet
- Graphic organizers
- Answer keys for modelled and shared lessons
- Rubric Assessment
- Points-Based Assessment
Current Events Assignment – Teacher Feedback:
- “Perfect for what I needed. Captures all the important areas of focus for an open current events assignment. Easily applied to a variety of sources.”
- “Love this. I have students give weekly presentations on current events. This helps them prepare and organize their ideas.”
- “Excellent. This will be so useful while we struggle to include non-fictional texts into our lessons.”
- “I love that this resource is aligned with so many Ontario expectations, and it allows for students to develop so many valuable skills.”
- “Very helpful for my students, who are launching a school newspaper. They need manageable steps for understanding and organizing articles.”
More Engaging ELA Resources: