Christmas Truce of 1914 Media Analysis Unit
This is a cross-curricular unit plan for the Christmas Truce of 1914. This event took place between the British and German troops along the western front trenches in France. It is explained to students using a variety of media types: readings, videos, and songs.
Students will reflect on this significant event that occurred during the First World War. The unit includes four assessments: two reflection writing pieces, one oral presentation, and one creative writing assignment. Assessments can be used for Writing, History, and Media Literacy. Reliable internet access is required for this unit.
- This resource contains individual PDFs of student pages to assist with online learning, i.e. Google Classroom™. The unit also comes with Google Slides™ versions of the included graphic organizers for 1:1 technology schools.
Click Here To View The Preview
Christmas Truce of 1914 Media Analysis – Unit Lessons:
- Lesson 1 – Historical Context
- Lesson 2 – Videos + Writing Assessment
- Lesson 3 – Online Link to Reader’s Theatre Script + Oral Reading Assessment
- Lesson 4 – Letters from the Trenches Creative Writing and Historical Content Assessment
- Lesson 5 – Song Lyric Interpretation + Media Literacy Reflection Assessment
Christmas Truce of 1914 Media Analysis – Resource Includes:
- Differentiated Unit Plan
- Comprehension Questions
- Oral Presentation Standards-Based Rubric (Levels 1 – 4)
- 4 Assessments
Christmas Truce of 1914 Media Analysis – Teacher Feedback:
- “Thank you so much for this! What a great short unit for this last week before the break! I was looking for something a little different this week but still structured and relevant. This is perfect.”
- “I used this the week before Christmas break. The students really enjoyed it. That ad – what a gem! Thanks for a very engaging week-long activity that kept my kids’ attention during a crazy week! The assessments were very easy to mark after as well. I enjoyed reading my students’ personal reflections about the various media types – they definitely gave the categories some honest comments!”
- “Very clear and thorough set to give students some multimedia lessons! I like that it has multiple modes of learning (speaking, listening, reading, etc.) and that it would be easy for an ELA or Social Studies teacher to use (and assess).”
- “This is a great activity to do before break. Engaging, cross-curricular and relevant. A nice way to sneak in some more media before reports too! I love everything from this seller, highly recommend anything she makes! Thank you for sharing your skills, Kristy!”
More Christmas Resources:
- Christmas Unit
- Christmas Non-Fiction Article
- Christmas Creative Writing Assignment
- Christmas Writing Prompts
- Christmas Digital Escape Room
- Middle School Christmas Activities Bundle
Want Canadian History Resources and Assignments?
Are you looking for celebration resources that celebrate global holidays? Try this Global Holiday Celebrations Research Assignment.