Argumentative Essay Writing Unit | PDF and Digital Formats: This scaffolded argumentative essay writing unit follows the gradual release model (I Do, We Do/You Do) for student learning. Teachers will teach the skill to the whole class and then give students time to practice this skill with a partner or by themselves before requiring them to use it independently. Students will learn how to write an argumentative essay. Each skill is broken down into different lessons to help students grasp each new concept.
- This resource contains individual PDFs of student pages to assist with online learning i.e. Google Classroom™.
- The unit also comes with Google Slides™ versions of the included lessons for 1:1 technology schools.
- The unit is aligned with Grade 6, 7, and 8 Common Core and Ontario Curriculum Standards
- Pre-Unit: Rant Unit
- Lesson 1: What is Argumentative Writing?
- Lesson 2: Anticipation Activity: Agree or Disagree?
- Lesson 3: Choose an Argumentative Topic
- Lesson 4: Writing a Thesis Statement
- Lesson 5: Finding Reliable Sources
- Lesson 6A: Types of Evidence
- Lesson 6B: Collecting Research
- Lesson 7: Formal Writing
- Lesson 8: Introduction to Paragraph Writing
- Lesson 9: Body Paragraph Writing
- Lesson 10: Conclusion Paragraph Writing
- Lesson 11A: Claim and Counterclaim (7th Grade Common Core)
- Lesson 11B: Claim, Counterclaim, and Rebuttal (8th Grade Common Core)
- Lesson 12: Formatting an Essay
- Lesson 13: Creating a Works Cited Page
- Lesson 14: Creating In-Text Citations
- Lesson 15: Self and Peer Revising and Editing
- Lesson 16: Publishing Day
- 1 Rant Writing Unit (Unit Hook)
- 18 Scaffolded Essay Writing Lessons
- Lesson Slideshows
- Overall Unit Plan
- Teacher Detail Lesson Plans
- Regular and Modified Graphic Organizers For Note-Taking
- Google Slides version
- Individual PDFs
- “Such a great and engaging for grade 7/8!”
- “Very helpful resource! I have never taught grade 7/8 language before and this helped me know exactly what to do with minimal prep. Thank you!”
Other Writing Lessons: