12 Genre Book Reports
Help your students dive deeper into their reading with these 12 different genre-focused book report assignments. Each genre book report assignment enables students to showcase their creativity while meeting curriculum standards. This assignment covers both fiction and non-fiction books. The assignment structure rotates every three months helping students achieve proficiency while still providing student choice. Assignments can be used in any order. A sample teaching schedule is provided.
- This 12 Genre Book Reports resource contains individual PDFs of student pages to assist with online learning, i.e. Google Classroom™. It also comes with Google Slides™ versions of the included student sheets for 1:1 technology schools.
This resource is also included in the Independent Reading: 14 Book Report Project Bundle.
Click Here To View The Preview
- Realistic Fiction
- Mystery Fiction
- Graphic Novel
- Science Fiction
- Biography & Memoirs
- Historical Fiction
- Classical Fiction (pre-1970)
- Fantasy Fiction
- Traditional Literature vs. Fractured Fairy Tales
- Sports Fiction
- Free Verse Fiction
Genre Book Reports – Assignment Types:
- Written Response – critical thinking and written reflection assignment.
- Creative Choice Board – students are provided with 3 options and must select which creative option they want to produce.
- Oral Presentation – a book talk format assignment.
- Student-Created Lesson based on a non-fiction book
- Traditional Literature vs. Fractured Fairy Tales Comparison Assignment
Genre Book Reports Resource Contains:
- 12 Assignment Sheets (labelled by genre)
- Genre Book Lists
- Standards-Based Assessment Rubric
- Points-Based Assessment
- Individual PDFs for Google Classroom
- Google Slides Format for 1:1 technology schools
Genre Book Reports – Teacher Feedback:
- “This resource really helped me get started with my book reports this year. Not only did I want to have students focus on a different genre each month, but I also wanted a variety of book report projects. Your packet was exactly what I was looking for!”
- “Loved this resource! Many students found that they now “love” reading a particular genre! Yay!! I plan on using this resource again this year. It is a fabulous supplement to our reading workshop! Thank you!!!”‘
- “Another great resource from this seller. Thanks for everything that you do to make other teachers’ lives easier and student learning better!”
- “I love that there are 12 genres and also different response formats. The best part about this resource is that my students were able to complete a meaningful reflection after the presentations where they had to compare and contrast at least three other students’ novel reports. Since we had focused on one genre, it made it easier for them to take notes and reflect meaningfully. Excellent resource!”
Other resources you might like: