Are you looking for Grade 8 Geography lessons for the Ontario Curriculum? Teaching geography is one of my favourite things. I have created some captivating lessons for educators who are required to teach this curriculum.
When creating lessons, I think about how students learn best and what activities will engage them in their learning. These are not worksheet lesson plans but a combination of interactive activities, inviting videos, readings, and inquiry assignments.
This blog post, 14 Ways To Make Geography Class Fun, outlines how teachers can make their geography lessons engaging for students. Teachers should use engaging geography lessons in their classrooms because they enhance learning, develop critical thinking skills, increase student interest, and help students think about global citizenship.
- Fun and engaging geography lessons enhance lessons and make learning more interesting for students. When students are engaged, they are more likely to pay attention, participate, and retain information. This enhances the learning experience.
- Geography is a subject that requires critical thinking skills, such as analyzing data, making comparisons, and evaluating information. When a lesson is engaging, it helps students reinforce these critical thinking skills. For example, students can better understand data when they take the time to create and analyze a population pyramid.
- Lessons that move beyond a textbook, such as a Community Sustainability Audit (where students have to analyze the sustainability practices of their hometown) help students be more likely to learn and pursue further study.
- Geography is a subject that is essential for developing global citizenship skills. Lessons that help students understand global issues and develop a sense of responsibility, such as a lesson on Global Wealth Distribution, are more interesting than just answering questions.
Grade 8 Geography Lessons
In this Grade 8 Geography Unit Bundle, teachers are provided with 35 in-depth grade 8 geography lessons to help their students explore and understand global settlement patterns and their effect on the environment as well as lessons on economic development and quality of life. You can find the Grade 8 Geography Unit Bundle on Teachers Pay Teachers USD or Shopify CAD.
Topics included are mapping patterns, learning about why and what geography is, global settlement patterns, spatial patterns and environmental impacts in human settlement, settlement factors, and world map assignments.
- 35 Engaging Lessons
- MP3 Audio Files
- Daily Lesson Plans
- Student Choice
- Differentiated Tasks
- Inquiry Learning
- Graphic Organizers
- Summative Assessment
- Assessment Rubrics
- Answer Keys
- Print & Digital Formats
Lessons and Assignments Overview:
- Why Study Geography? (As/For Learning)
- Mapping Skills Review (For Learning)
- Map of Canada Assignment (Of Learning)
- What is Geography? (For/As Learning)
- World Map Assignment (Of Learning)
- Spatial Patterns in Human Settlement Part 1 (As Learning)
- Spatial Patterns in Human Settlement Part 2 (As Learning)
- Settlement Factors (As Learning)
- Global Settlement Patterns (As Learning)
- Land Use Case Study: Caledonia, Ontario (As/Of Learning)
- Mid-Unit Test (Of Learning)
- Trends in Human Settlement (As Learning)
- Environmental Impact of Human Settlement (As Learning)
- Settlement Issues (As Learning)
- Sustainable Settlements (As Learning)
- Community Sustainability Audit (Of Learning)
- Geography Inquiry on Land Reclamation or Land Use Conflicts (Of Learning)
- Unit Test (Of Learning)
- Examining Quality of Life (As Learning)
- Geographic Inequalities Vocabulary (As/For Learning)
- Quality of Life Indicators (As Learning)
- Scatter Graphs (Of Learning)
- Millennium Development Goals (As Learning)
- Quality of Life Research Presentation (As/Of Learning)
- Population Pyramids (As/Of Learning)
- Interrelationships (As Learning)
- Mid-Unit Test (Of Learning)
- Media and Quality of Life (As Learning)
- Quality of Life Inquiry (As/Of Learning)
- Economic Systems (As Learning)
- Economic Sectors (As Learning)
- Economic Systems and Sectors Quiz (Of Learning)
- Economic Development Factors (As Learning)
- Global Wealth Distribution (As Learning)
- Unit Test (Of Learning)
“What a life saver, no prep required! Easy to skim through and choose components that will work best for your group, or use it all. Lots of quality information and kept students engaged and thinking critically.” – Stephanie K.
Modified Geography Units
This Grade 8 Geography Modified Bundle is for classroom teachers who are required to teach the Grade 8 Geography Ontario Curriculum but have students who are working significantly below grade level in reading, writing, and comprehension.
Each of the 31 grade 8 geography lessons aligns with a key concept in the Ontario Grade 8 Geography Curriculum but has significantly reduced reading and writing expectations within the lesson. An MP3 audio file of each student reading has been provided. This resource was designed to meet the needs of ELL students and/or students on a modified IEP. You can find the Grade 8 Geography Modified Bundle on Teachers Pay Teachers USD or Shopify CAD.
- 31 Modified Grade 7 Geography Lessons
- MP3 Audio Files of Student Readings
- Detailed Teacher Instructions
- Google Slides version
- Individual PDFs
“This resource has helped me greatly in planning for students who have learning difficulties and require modified programs. It helps to keep them learning the same topics as their peers.” – Cathy B.
Ontario Report Card Comments For Grade 8 Geography
Use these 100% editable report card comments for the 2023 Ontario Social Studies Curriculum and include comments for Strands A & B. The comments are sorted by Levels 1 – 4, strengths, and next steps, and coincide perfectly with the Grade 8 Geography Lessons. You can find the Grade 8 Geography Report Card Comments on Teachers Pay Teachers USD or Shopify CAD.
These comments are:
- 100% Editable
- Google Docs™ Format
- Comment Bank
- Next Steps
- Strands A & B
- Ontario Curriculum Aligned
“This made my report card writing a breeze! I was able to easily put together some great comments for my students with this resource. Thank you!” – Music with Mrs Sandoval
I hope you found some useful Grade 8 Geography lessons in this article. If you teach Grade 7, check out my Grade 7 Geography Lessons, as well as this article, 18 Effective Teaching Strategies, to help you plan out a variety of lessons.