It can be difficult to find creative ways to teach vocabulary. We do not always need students to write down the word and copy the definition, as it does not always lead to retention.
Below is a list of vocabulary teaching ideas brainstormed by teachers. You do not need to use all of the suggestions on this list, but select 1 or 2 per unit to help reinforce the vocabulary your students are learning.
This Creative Ways to Teach Vocabulary blog post contains sponsored links that are of no cost to the reader. This blog received a small commission from this link placement to help with the financial costs of maintaining the site.
Creative Ways To Teach Vocabulary
- Use graphic organizers.
- Have students create hashtag sentences using the new vocabulary words in context.
- Give students a photo and have them write the hashtags that go with that photo which relate to the vocabulary word.
- Turn a picture into a meme using the vocabulary words.
- Create a friendly letter using the vocabulary words.
- Have students create a vocabulary quiz and trade it with a peer.
- Use videos – I have a lot of teachers who recommend School House Rock videos.
- Use interactive games like Plickers, Quizlet, Gimkit, Kahoot, or Quizziz.
- Teach students how to use the Frayer model.
- Matching games – create word association games where students have to match the photo to the vocabulary word.
- Play Pictionary/Charades/Jeopardy with vocabulary words (where appropriate and possible).
- Have students write a very brief story using those words.
- Use a fill-in-the-blanks game like Mad Libs.
- Use websites like www.Vocabulary.com or www.Flocabulary.com.
- Create word searches and crossword puzzles.
- Use entrance/exit tickets to reinforce these words.
- Create a word wall and reference it regularly.
- Consider using the website Unscrambled Words. It can be used to unscramble random letters into words, or teachers can create vocabulary-based worksheets.
I hope you found more creative ways to teach vocabulary with this blog post. If we missed any, let us know!