It can be difficult to find creative ways to teach vocabulary. We do not always need students to write down the word and copy the definition as it does not always lead to retention.
Below is a list of vocabulary teaching ideas brainstormed by teachers. You do not need to use all of the suggestions on this list, but select 1 or 2 per unit to help reinforce the vocabulary your students are learning.
List of Creative Ways To Teach Vocabulary
- Use graphic organizers
- Have students create hashtag sentences using the new vocabulary words in context
- Give students a photo and have them write the hashtags that go with that photo which relates to the vocabulary word
- Turn a picture into a meme using the vocabulary words
- Create a friendly letter using the vocabulary words
- Have students create a vocabulary quiz and trade it with a peer
- Use videos – I have school a lot of teachers recommend School House Rock videos.
- Use interactive games like Plickers, Quizlet, Gimkit, Kahoot, Quizziz
- Teach students how to use the Frayer model
- Matching games – create word association games where students have to match the photo to the vocabulary word
- Play Pictionary/Charades/ Jeopardy with vocabulary words (where appropriate and possible)
- Have students write a very brief story using those words
- Use a fill in the blanks game like Mad Libs
- Use websites like www.Vocabulary.com or www.Flocabulary.com
- Create word searches and crossword puzzles
- Use entrance/exit tickets to reinforce these words
- Create a word wall and reference it regularly.
Other Vocabulary Resources