Podcasts are a fantastic way to consume information and get free entertainment. I love using podcasts in middle school. Students like lesson variety and using podcasts provides an additional way of getting information.
Why Should You Use Podcasts in Middle School?
- They are short pieces of content. They are not lengthy like some audiobook chapters tend to be.
- They are very engaging – voice actors, sound effects, and cliffhangers.
- They are accessible. Students can listen to the audio file and/or read the transcripts.
- Access from anywhere since they are hosted online. Students can access these files online or at school.
- Podcasts come in a variety of topics, genres, and subjects. I am sure everyone can find something they would like.
- Narrative podcasts require the same reading comprehension skills from students as other narrative works.
Popular Middle School Podcasts
- The Unexplainable Disappearance of Mars Patel
- Six Minutes
- Remy’s Life…Interrupted
- Becoming Mother Earth
- Tumble Science
- Smash Boom Best
Use podcasts in your classroom with this complete Mars Patel Unit.
Mars Patel Podcast Listening Comprehension Unit comes in both a PDF and digital format to be used in the classroom or through online learning.
Use this engaging podcast to keep students engaged while learning about literary elements and literary devices, and practising their reading comprehension skills.
This complete “novel” study unit contains:
- 160+ Pages of Resources
- Detailed Lesson Plans
- Graphic Organizers
- Anchor Charts
- Reading Comprehension Questions
- Individual PDFs for Google Drive
- Google Slides for 1:1 Schools
- Self-Marking Google Forms Quizzes
- Podcast Non-Fiction Article & Comprehension Questions (contains regular & modified text, audio file)
- Making Predictions Graphic Organizers
- Mars Patel Sketching Sheets Graphic Organizers
- Mars Patel Podcast Episodes #1 – 10 Comprehension Questions (PDF, Editable, and Self-Marking Google Forms versions)
- Podcast Reading Strategies Graphic Organizers
- Literary Elements Lessons and Graphic Organizers
- Mars Patel Unit Test (PDF, Editable, and Self-Marking Google Forms versions)
- Create Your Own Podcast Project
Other Media Literacy Lessons
- Fake News Unit PDF and Digital Editions | Distance Learning
- Media Literacy Unit: Analyzing Public Service Announcements and Commercials
- Media Literacy Bundle 10 Consumer Awareness Lessons