Digital learning in the English Language Arts classroom can be a challenge if you are not prepared. Teachers learned a lot about digital learning during the 2020 Covid-19 emergency digital learning that occurred.
Below are my top 3 tips for digital learning.
1. Giving students choices is very important in a digital learning environment. Even small choices like offering students two options of a final project – give students control over their learning. Students are more engaged and interested in their learning when they can choose from a list of options.
2. Any paper or PDF lessons can be made digital by taking a screenshot of the PDF version or a photo of the paper version. Then take the image and insert it as a background in a Google Slide. Once you have created this Google Slide worksheet, you can add text boxes where you want students to write.
3. Due dates and/or deadlines are extremely important to help students manage their time. Students crave structure and they also want guidelines. By setting due dates, you help students manage their time. Time management is important not only for students but for teachers too. It’s impossible to assess student learning if you never get work from a student. Setting due dates helps teachers and students maintain a home-school life balance so that both are not always working on schoolwork
Looking For Professional Development?
Middle school ELA teachers, come and join us at the ELA Success Summit and learn how to make the 2020-2021 school year a success! We have 25 self-paced video sessions for you to learn how to make digital learning engaging for students and manageable for teachers. All videos are recorded and can be accessed until the end of September 2020.
Is This Summit for You?
- Are you a middle school ELA teacher?
- Did you find distance learning exhausting?
- Were you struggling to plan engaging meaningful lessons?
- Did you find it overwhelming to learn all of the new technology?
- Are you looking to expand your lessons for the 2020-2021 school year?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then this summit will be a great resource for you. Click to learn more about the ELA Success Summit
More Digital Learning Resources
- Digital ELA Lessons for Middle School ELA
- Distance Learning For Middle School ELA
- Digital Reading Check-Ins