June has arrived and you made it! You can use these June lesson plans for middle school ELA and end the year on a strong note. Remember you are just as ready for summer vacation as your students are. But before you can head out to the pool with a book to read just for fun, you need to finish out this month. If you are like me though, you have a couple of weeks to fill, but you don’t want filler activities. Let’s talk about June lesson plans for middle school ELA.
During the month of June, my classes focus on two very important skill sets:
- Comparison Skills Comparing things, especially things that seem similar on the surface, is an important life skill. Students will need it when they consider things like colleges they might want to attend, jobs they might want to take, or candidates they might want to vote for. By teaching the critical thinking skills necessary for these comparisons in my classroom, I help prepare my students for bigger decisions later in life.
- Discussing Controversial Topics In a day and age where issues so often divide us and discussions about hot button topics seem to inevitably devolve into shouting matches, learning how to productively dialogue on these sorts of topics is more important than ever. By teaching these skills now, I help my students become more productive and positive contributors to society.
Try These Print and Go Resources This Month
Focus on Reading and Writing
Book Versus Movie Comparison Analysis Project Use this project to help students gain higher-order thinking skills. Students will select a book to read that has been made into a movie. Through a series of assignments, students will demonstrate their understanding of both the book and the movie. Students will compare and contrast the novel and the movie’s plot, characters, setting, and theme. Find this resource on Shopify CAD or Teachers Pay Teachers USD.
Focus on Speaking and Listening
Hot Topics Class Discussion Assignment This no-prep discussion assignment helps students be informed about and engaged with important social issues in any content area. This can be used with any non-fiction text, news broadcast, documentary, or video on any topic. Find this resource on Shopify CAD or Teachers Pay Teachers USD.
End of the Year Mega Bundle This mega bundle contains 9 different end-of-the-year activities for your students. This bundle is a mix of academic lessons (non-fiction articles) and just for fun activities (digital escape room). Help keep your students engaged until the last day of school with these creative end-of-the-year activities. Find this resource on Shopify CAD or Teachers Pay Teachers USD.
Articles To Inform Your Teaching
- The Importance of End-of-the-Year Teacher Reflections
- End-of-the-Year Classroom Management Strategies
- Engaging Middle School End of the Year Lessons
- Graduation Songs For Ceremonies and Slideshows
Well friends, if you have been following this series we have made it from September to June. I hope you have found these monthly updates to be useful and have discovered (or rediscovered) a few ideas that you have been able to implement in your own classroom.
Have a wonderful summer vacation!
Other Monthly Lesson Plans
- September Lesson Plans for Middle School ELA
- October Lesson Plans for Middle School ELA
- November Lesson Plans for Middle School ELA
- December Lesson Plans for Middle School ELA
- January Lesson Plans for Middle School ELA