Distance learning is the new normal for many teachers as of March 2020 due to the COVID-19 virus that has become a global pandemic. Below are four different ready to go lessons for Middle School ELA. These distance learning lessons require pen and paper or access to an online learning platform like Google Classroom. These lesson plans cover reading, writing, speaking and listening as well as media literacy.
We cannot replace classroom learning with online lessons, but we can try to make this time a positive experience for our students.
Middle School ELA Emergency Lesson Plans for Distance Learning
Use these FREE ready to go pre-made lesson plans for middle school ELA classes. Lessons have been divided up into reading, writing, speaking/listening and media literacy. Use these lessons to help students review concepts previously taught throughout the year. Lessons can be completed on paper or on the provided Google Slides templates. Download these free lessons here. For a more detailed overview of what I am going to use in my middle school English classes read this post.
4 Distance Learning Assignments
- Retell, Relate, Reflect, Review Novel Analysis Assignment
- Daily Writing Assignment
- Podcast Reflection Assignment
- Media Review Assignment
- Assignments from this package
- Any independent reading novel in paper or digital format
- Pen/Paper or digital writing tool (Google Docs/Slides)
Included in This Resource
- Weekly teaching overview
- Detailed lesson plans
- Reading, writing, listening and media assignment sheets
- Reading and writing assessment rubrics/grading sheets
- PDF and Google Slides format
Other Distance Learning Tools
- Use the website Print Friendly and PDF to edit online articles and other online content to share with your students.
- Use Google Sheets to create a Table of Contents to organize resources.
- Right now the website Audible Stories is free to access audiobooks for students of all ages.
- Consider using HyperDocs to increase lesson engagement.
- I also love creating screencast videos using Screencast-O-Matic. This website software allows teachers to record what is on their computer screens and make a video to share with their students.
- Help students find their next great read using these book lists and the free eBooks listed here.
Looking for Digital Lessons?
Many of the lessons from 2 Peas and a Dog come in both PDF and Google Slides formats. Check out these engaging ready to go digital lessons.