Halloween is a fun time of year when teachers can integrate the fun of the season into their daily lesson plans. It can be challenging to find age-appropriate Halloween lessons for middle school students. Many of the ideas I see online are really for younger students.
To combat this lack of Halloween lessons for middle school students, I created a 5 lesson Halloween unit. These engaging Halloween lessons contain 5 different activities that will help reinforce your students’ reading and writing skills. Students will learn about the historical background of Halloween traditions and prepare for a Halloween discussion about current Halloween customs. You will need regular, reliable internet access for this unit to access online videos. Find the Halloween Unit on Shopify CAD or Teachers Pay Teachers USD.
Teachers will get 5 Halloween lessons for middle school students that will engage students while reinforcing key reading, writing and listening skills.
Lesson 1: History of Halloween Video & Readings (comprehension questions included)
Lesson 2: Halloween Opinion Writing (students are presented with 12 opinion questions and practice their opinion writing skills)
Lesson 3: Halloween Opinion Fishbowl Discussion & Paragraph Assignment (structured class discussion and paragraph writing)
Lesson 4: Halloween Around the World Reading (students learn about Halloween customs around the world)
Lesson 5: Halloween Creative Writing Assignment (students select 1 of 5 creative writing prompts and respond)
- Individual PDFs of student pages for uploading to Google Classroom or other online LMS programs
- Google Slides™ versions of the included graphic organizers for 1:1 technology schools
- Detailed unit plan and daily teacher instructions
- Assessment rubrics
What are teachers saying about these lessons?
- “Engaging and just enough challenge.”
- “This was a great resource to use with my kids as one of their guided writing/reading centers”
- “Used this for a fun break from our normal routine. Students enjoyed it!”
- “Great resource that my students enjoyed working on and I found easy to use.”
- “Awesome resource for the craziness that often surrounds Halloween!”
- “Love the ease of your units! Thanks again for another great resource”
- “Awesome resource. Very adaptable for younger grades. Can’t wait to use it!”
I hope you have gained some ideas about what kind of Halloween lessons for middle school you might want to try in your classroom. Looking for some short stories to add some spooky flavour to your October? Check out this list and select which ones interest you.
More Holiday Themed ELA Lessons
- 10 Halloween Costume Ideas For English Teachers
- October Lesson Plans for Middle School ELA
- Remembrance Day Lesson Plans For Middle School Students