Holiday Writing Ideas
Holiday writing ideas are the topic of the guest blog post I had the opportunity to share on the Teach Writing blog.
Read on this blog post about how I increase student engagement during the November and December holiday season by using these six writing strategies.
- Integrate Creative Writing
- Write About A Specific Holiday
- Try Writing Prompts as Bell Ringers
- Use the RAFT Format
- Try Choice Boards
- Write a Prequel or Sequel
Many more details can be about these engaging writing ideas on the Teach Writing blog post mentioned above.
Visit the Teach Writing blog to read about student writing engagement during the holiday season.
Complete Christmas Unit
If you are looking for a complete middle school Christmas Unit which includes 6 different lessons to keep your students actively engaged in reading, writing, speaking and media literacy during the holiday season check out this Christmas Unit.
This engaging Christmas Unit contains 6 different activities that will help reinforce your students’ reading and writing skills. Students will learn about the historical background of Christmas traditions and prepare for a holiday-themed discussion about current Christmas customs. *This resource is focused on the North American commercial Christmas – this is not a religious unit.
This resource contains individual PDFs of student pages to assist with online learning i.e. Google Classroom™. The unit also comes with Google Slides™ versions of the included graphic organizers for 1:1 technology schools.
- Lesson 1: History of Christmas Video & Readings
- Lesson 2: Real or Fake Christmas Trees: Which One Should You Choose?
- Lesson 3: Christmas Opinion Questions
- Lesson 4: Christmas Opinion Fishbowl Discussion & Paragraph Assignment
- Lesson 5: Christmas Food Traditions From Around the World Video + Graphic Organizer
- Lesson 6: Christmas Creative Writing Assignment *Christmas Creative Writing Assignment can be purchased separately here.
- Individual PDFs of student pages for uploading to Google Classroom or other LMS systems
- Detailed unit plan and teacher instructions
- Lessons divided up with title pages for easy access
- Assessment rubrics (Levels and Points)
- Answer keys for lessons
*Regular reliable internet access is required for this unit
*Internet must be able to access online video sources
*This resource is a non-editable PDF
These Christmas lessons are available for purchase here.
Additional Holiday Writing Lessons and Ideas
- Celebrating the Holidays in the Secondary ELA Classroom
- Holiday Season Survival Guide
- Promoting Joy During the Holiday Season
- Holiday Season Lesson Ideas
- Holiday Lesson Plans