Full year lesson plans provide huge time savings to busy teachers. It is important to have lesson structures and assignments in your classroom that students are familiar with and that can be used all year. No one has time to prep brand new lessons every night OR write detailed sub plans when they are home with the flu.
Sometimes the traffic is so bad on my commute to and from school, that I am in my car for almost two hours. I can’t spend all of my time planning and preparing new lessons every night. I need time to spend with my family and friends. It is a constant struggle because I LOVE lesson and unit planning, but I don’t want to use ALL my time planning lessons.
To reduce the amount of time I spend on lesson planning, I like to use assignments that are structured to last the entire year. Once I teach students the lesson structure, my in-class time is freed up to conference with individual students or with small groups. This means I spend less of my own time planning, prepping, and providing extra help because it is all done during the instructional day.
I like to do my daily lesson planning as whole unit planning and work backward from the final task to plan out each lesson. This also saves me time from coming home each night and trying to struggle with what to teach.
Full Year Lesson Plans
The full year lesson plans lists below are great to use on a weekly/monthly basis or for middle school sub plans.
Free Long Range Plans
As a teacher, it can be difficult to know where to start when it comes to planning your school year. Let me help you with my Free Long Range Plans that are definitely going to help you feel more organized and less stressed!
- Independent Reading Journal Assignment – This independent reading assignment is a collection of 6 independent reading tracking forms and one reading journal assignment. These reading tracking forms help students stay organized and purposeful during reading workshop or independent reading time. Easy to use assessment forms are included to ensure student accountability and less teacher marking stress. Find this resource on Shopify CAD or Teachers Pay Teachers USD.
- Novel Study Choice Board 9 Activities For Any Novel – This is a no-prep – just photocopy and go activity for any fiction novel. Students are given a choice of 9 different activities to demonstrate their understanding of their novel. The sample assignments included are: design a video game manual, symbolic life map, social media profile, oral presentations, letter to a movie director, create a blog and news story. Find this resource on Shopify CAD or Teachers Pay Teachers USD.
- 12 Genre Book Reports –Help your students dive deeper into their reading with these 12 different book report assignments. Each assignment enables students to showcase their creativity while meeting your curriculum standards. This book report set covers both Fiction and Non-fiction Genres. The assignment type rotates every three months helping students achieve mastery, while still providing student choice. Find this resource on Shopify CAD or Teachers Pay Teachers USD.
- Creative Writing Year Long Bundle – This is a no-prep, photocopy and teach, year-long bundle. This bundle includes holiday writing prompts such as Halloween, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and Easter. It also includes seasonal writing prompts such as fall, winter, spring, summer, and back to school. Students will select one of the provided seasonal or holiday-themed character roles and create a written or visual product based on the character’s specific writing prompt using the RAFT (role, audience, format, topic) format. Find this resource on Shopify CAD or Teachers Pay Teachers USD.
- Creative Writing Prompts and Activities – 20 different writing prompts are included in this resource that can be used as a stand-alone assignment, sub plans, or enrichment task. Integrate these prompts into your writer’s workshop classes or any ELA writing lesson. Find this resource on Shopify CAD or Teachers Pay Teachers USD.
- Article of the Week Differentiated Lesson Bundle – Help your students purposely engage with non-fiction texts using this differentiated article of the week four lesson bundle. This no-prep, print and go resource can be used in any content area or English Language Arts classroom to help students gain background knowledge, practice their reading, writing, and analysis skills as well as keep classroom engagement high. Each week assign an article for students to read and respond to – 4 different response types included. Find this resource on Shopify CAD or Teachers Pay Teachers USD.
Media Literacy and Speaking Resources
- Media Literacy Review Writing 16 Lessons – Help your students purposely engage with media using this differentiated review writing lesson bundle. This lesson bundle contains 16 different media types for students to review with two different review writing options provided: a graphic organizer version or a writing prompt version. This assignment variety will help you scaffold the learning for students who need that support and provide independent writing tasks for your other students. Find this resource on Shopify CAD or Teachers Pay Teachers USD.
- Oral Presentations Bundle – Teaching students how to create an engaging oral presentation is an important life skill. Students practice their oral presentations skills for these assignments: Current Events News Assignment, Hot Topics Debate Assignment, Book Talks, Rant Writing Unit. Find this resource on Shopify CAD or Teachers Pay Teachers USD.
- Current Events News Assignment – In this activity, students examine online or print news sources to report on a current event for their class. This can be used with any non-fiction new article or text. This assignment contains 3 different types of current events graphic organizers to practice main idea and significance. Find this resource on Shopify CAD or Teachers Pay Teachers USD.
- Hot Topics Class Debate Assignment – This can be used with any type of Nonfiction text, news broadcast, documentary, or video on any topic in the content areas of Science, Math, History, Geography, World News. A lesson plan is provided explaining how to use this strategy in guided practice – modeled, shared, and independent. Find this resource on Shopify CAD or Teachers Pay Teachers USD.
- Book Talk Assignment – In this Book Talk presentation assignment, students review their book for the class. Students are provided with several presentation ideas on how to creatively review their novel for the class. Book Talks encourage students to be accountable for their independent reading in an engaging manner. Find this resource on Shopify CAD or Teachers Pay Teachers USD.
- Rant Writing Unit – Students rant to each other daily, why not channel that creative energy into some high-quality writing? Rants are an engaging way to get students to write and share their thoughts and opinions in the classroom. Find this resource on Shopify CAD or Teachers Pay Teachers USD.
Are you a Language Arts teacher for Grades 7 or 8?
These full-year ELA bundles are sure to help you cut down on your daily planning time with relevant and engaging lessons for your students. Reclaim your personal time and free your evenings and weekends with this program that contains over 90 resources for teaching reading, writing, oral communication, and media literacy, as well as seasonal and holiday lessons. Learn more about this program here.
I hope you can use these full year lesson plans ideas for your students.
Additional Lesson Planning Resources
- Lesson Ideas: Where to Look for Inspiration
- Ditch the Stress – Lesson Planning Tips for Teachers
- How To Write Long Range Plans
- Quick Assessment Tips