Reflection is an important skill that we need to reinforce with our students. To assist with this task, I created a New Year’s small group discussion and goal-setting activity to help my students with their reflection skills. In this step-by-step goal-setting activity, students will be excited and engaged during their first week back at school.
New Year’s Goal Setting Activity Reflection Process
- As a class watch this video about How different cultures celebrate the New Year.
- Then have a class discussion about what they learned from the video.
- After, arrange students in small groups of 4 – 5 people.
- Give each group a bag of discussion prompts.
- Provide students time to use the discussion prompts in their small groups.
- Have a brief class discussion about new ideas they started to think about stemming from the discussion.
- Hand out the New Year’s Reflection Sheets and model responses under a document camera.
- Give students independent work time to fill out their reflection sheets.
- As time permits, conference with your students about their goals.