Brynn Allison, The Literary Maven & Kristy, 2 Peas and a Dog host #2ndaryELA on Twitter every Tuesday evening from 8 – 8:30 PM EST. #2ndaryELA is a weekly chat for secondary English Language Arts teachers focused on a topic. Every Sunday, we post the topic and questions on our blogs to allow you to prepare for the upcoming Tuesday evening’s chat. Thank you to everyone who joined us last week and we hope that you will join us again.
On Tuesday, August 29, our #2ndaryELA chat will be about teaching nonfiction and making real-world connections.
8:00 – What and where do you teach? Include a link to your blog if you have one. #2ndaryELA
8:05 Q1 How do you use nonfiction texts and media in your classroom?
8:10 Q2 What is your favorite resource for finding nonfiction texts that are timely and apply to teens?
8:15 Q3 What short/long term benefits do you find from using nonfiction materials related to current events and real-life issues?
8:20 Q4 How do you handle sensitive topics in the nonfiction materials you use in the classroom?
8:25 Q5 Describe your favorite lesson or unit that incorporates nonfiction material related to a current event or real-life issue.
1. Log into Twitter on Tuesday from 8-8:30 PM EST.
2. Search for tweets with the hashtag #2ndaryELA in the search bar. Make sure to click “Latest.”
3. Introductions are for the first 5 minutes.
4. Starting at 8:05 (@literarymaven or @2peasandadog) will post questions every 5 minutes using the format Q1, Q2, Q3, etc., and the hashtag #2ndaryELA.
5. Respond to questions using the format A1, A2, A3, etc. with #2ndaryELA.
6. Follow any teachers responding and who are also using #2ndaryELA.
7. Like and respond to other teachers’ tweets.
New to chats? Here are the rules:
1. Stay on topic & stay positive!
2. Please do not post or promote paid products unless specifically asked.
3. If you arrive late, try to look through other posts before beginning.
4. Feel free to just read, like, and/or retweet.
5. Always use our hashtag #2ndaryELA, including in your replies to others.
6. Make sure your Twitter feed is set to public. (Also keep in mind that Twitter is completely public – that means students, parents, and administrators can and will read what you tweet.)
You can also check out a quick video tutorial in this blog post.
0 thoughts on “#2ndaryELA Twitter Chat on Tuesday 8/29 Topic: Nonfiction and Real World Connections”
My name is Anuj Agarwal. I'm Founder of Feedspot.
I would like to personally congratulate you as your blog 2 Peas and a Dog has been selected by our panelist as one of the Top 75 Middle School Teacher Blogs on the web.
I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world. This is the most comprehensive list of Top 75 Middle School Teacher Blogs on the internet and I’m honored to have you as part of this!
Also, you have the honor of displaying the badge on your blog.