Brynn Allison, The Literary Maven & Kristy, 2 Peas and a Dog are hosting #2ndaryELA on Twitter every Tuesday evening from 8 – 8:30 PM EST. #2ndaryELA is a weekly chat for secondary English Language Arts teachers focused on a topic. Every Sunday, we will post the topic and questions on our blogs to allow you to prepare for the upcoming Tuesday evening’s chat. Thank you to everyone who joined us last week and we hope that you will join us again.
On Tuesday, April 19, our #2ndaryELA chat will focus on media literacy.
8:00 Intros: What and where do you teach? Include a link to your blog if you have one. #2ndaryELA
8:05 Q1: Is media literacy a component of your curriculum? Explain what you are required to teach. #2ndaryELA
8:10 Q2: Why is it important for students to critically evaluate media texts? #2ndaryELA
8:15 Q3: How do you teach this important skill? #2ndaryELA
8:20 Q4: How do we prepare our students for appropriate social media usage (i.e. helping them stay safe online)? #2ndaryELA
8:25 Q5: Share your favorite media literacy lessons, resources, ideas. #2ndaryELA
1. Log into Twitter on Tuesday from 8-8:30 PM EST.
2. Search for tweets with the hashtag #2ndaryELA in the search bar. Make sure to click “All tweets.”
3. Introductions are for the first 5 minutes.
4. Starting at 8:05 (@literarymaven or @2peasandadog) will post questions every 5 minutes using the format Q1, Q2, Q3, etc., and the hashtag #2ndaryELA.
5. Respond to questions using the format A1, A2, A3, etc. with #2ndaryELA.
6. Follow any teachers responding and who are also using #2ndaryELA.
7. Like and respond to other teachers’ tweets.
You can schedule your responses to the questions ahead of time using a scheduler (but don’t forget to use A1, A2, etc., and #2ndaryELA). Links are encouraged, so be sure to use a link shortener. Just visit one of those links and paste your long link to shorten it for Twitter. Using images is also encouraged when relevant.
New to chats? Here are the rules:
1. Stay on topic & stay positive!
2. Please do not post or promote paid products unless specifically asked.
3. If you arrive late, try to look through other posts before beginning.
4. Feel free to just read, like, and/or retweet.
5. Always use our hashtag #2ndaryELA, including in your replies to others.
6. Make sure your Twitter feed is set to public. (Also keep in mind that Twitter is completely public – that means students, parents, and administrators can and will read what you tweet.)