It is essential for teachers to establish effective routines, procedures and learning structures in their classrooms starting the first week of school.
During our weekly #2ndaryELA Twitter chat teachers shared that these routines were critical to a successful school year:
- washroom/drink sign out
- bell ringers or warm up activities
- school supplies easily accessible by students
- proper use of the classroom library
- how to ask for help
- attention getting signals (I use a clapping rhythm or I count down from 5)
- how to turn in work for grading
- technology storage/use guidelines
Read the curated Twitter chat below to see what types of routines teachers have established and for some great photos of real classroom spaces.