Several great Language Arts bloggers have gotten together to share their ideas for making the holidays a part of your classroom this season.
Bring the Meaning of the Season To Your Classroom
I like to get my students involved in thinking about how they can help others this holiday season. See the list below of ways your class can make a difference this holiday season.
- Organize a food drive for the local food bank
- Make holiday cards for senior citizens and drop them off if possible
- Discuss the importance of volunteering time at an organization that is meaningful to them, and then help your students come up with a volunteering plan
- Co-ordinate with your Music/Drama/Dance departments for an after school field trip to a senior's home where students can showcase their talents and learning from the semester
- Fundraise for a cause important to your school/community
I also like to bring some holiday cheer into the classroom during the weeks leading up to holiday break. My students really enjoy these Christmas themed interactive writing prompts get students up and moving during the warm up portion of your Writer's Workshop.
Students use the 7 different story prompts to get thinking creatively about what might happen in each scenario. Students must move around the classroom to answer each other's story writing prompts. I love building movement into my writing program, as I feel students are more creative when they are allowed to brainstorm and share their ideas with others.
Check out other fantastic ideas for celebrating the season with your classes, family and friends.